The Ph.D. program in Civil Engineering (specializing in Construction Engineering and Management) is open to outstanding applicants who have demonstrated excellence in their coursework and a capability for independent research. The focus of the doctoral work is on the student’s dissertation research, which must make a significant contribution to knowledge. Ongoing and recent research by Tishman Construction Management Program faculty and students is described on the Research Page of this website. All admitted Ph.D. students are offered a Fellowship and full financial support for the entire duration of their program.
Interested applicants should read this brochure outlining Guidelines for Applicants and Prospective Students. Then, if there are any additional questions, please visit the FAQ section and the main CEE Ph.D. Programs page and the CEE Admissions page.
Application materials required for Ph.D. applications consist of the following:
- Completed application form (see website below)
- Application fee
- Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Transcripts (Marksheets) from college or university that has awarded or will award degree
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. [This requirement is waived for 2021 and 2022 applicants due to the Covid-19 pandemic]
- International Students only:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) scores (international students only). See this site for minimum score requirements.
Web applications, application forms, and other materials are available for Ph.D. admission from the Rackham School of Graduate Studies
For further information contact:
- CEE Graduate Desk:
- Phone: +1-734-647-1082
- Professor Vineet R. Kamat, Professor and Program Advisor: